« Yet another new category post | Main | Fun with Foxmarks »

September 20, 2008

Saturday 2008-09-20 canoe trip

This entry was posted in the following categories: Canoeing

Okay, I've got an ongoing RTM item that reads: "blog about canoe trips". Ideally I'll blog about every trip. But at the very least, I have to put something up about the latest trip, so I don't get farther behind.

Also, I'm going to lie about the date. I'm posting this on Monday, but the "Authored On" date is Saturday, the day we actually canoed. I think that'll make things a bit easier to follow. I'll put the actual date in my signature.

Saturday, we put in at the top of the Dedham Loop (right there in the brick-paved spot off of Great Plain Ave (or whatever it's called on the east side of 128). One thing noteworthy was that we were combining a canoe trip with regular Saturday errands, so the car was full of not just the canoe stuff but 5 5 gallon water bottles we were returning. Car was somewhat cramped.

The put-in is good. Not very busy. There was another car there when we got there but they were gone when we returned. There's a short half-gravel / half slippery mud path down to the water. Got the canoe off and everything out of the car and in the canoe, and carried the canoe down to the water. Remember what I said about slippery mud. Well, a youtube-if-we-had-video-going moment was when I slipped in the mud, landing flat on my keister -- twice. The biggest downside to this put-in is the "beach" itself, which is mostly clay, mud, and murk (yeah, just coined murk; the active ingredient in anything murky, not to be confused with the verb form). What with the mud-wrestling with the canoe and getting my sandles stuck in the mud, I was rather messy when I finally got in the canoe.

We went upstream from there. It's heavily wooded, and the water was high and flowing well (not so well that we couldn't paddle or anything, just enough to ensure a nice time coming back). Before we hit 128 there looked like some better put-ins, that probably bear further investigations. Some guy was fishing there (he didn't catch anything, but I think for some, actually catching fish just interrupts a good day fishing). It was loud going under 128, as expected, and I thought I saw a paved path on the south side between the two bridges, but it was just for drainage. After the two 128 bridges there was a third bridge (off-ramp? not sure), then the river turned sharply to the right, then to the left.

Continuing on, it seemed there might be some picnic spots here and there, until we got into some definite backyard area. Lots of private docks. We ended up tying our stern painter to a branch sticking out of the water and eating lunch in the canoe. I thought Maria wasn't feeling well (she was hardly paddling the whole trip, which isn't like her), so I suggested we go back, but both ladies wanted to continue on, so we did.

After a little while the river turned to the left in a wide open area, and we saw a bridge, and some VERY low fast water. We initially tried to navigate it, but the water was too fast and shallow, so we gave up. On our way back we noticed a picnic table nearby, to make a mental note to stop there next time.

Heading back downstream was nice and uneventful. I managed to keep my feet under me while we got the canoe out of the water and back on the car. But I'm sure I was still a muddy mess to look at at Shaws.

All in all, a good day, and nice paddle in some new territory.

Michael, 9/22/08

Posted by mlv at September 20, 2008 12:56 PM

Trackback Pings

TrackBack URL for this entry:


Post a comment

Thanks for signing in, . Now you can comment. (sign out)

(If you haven't left a comment here before, you may need to be approved by the site owner before your comment will appear. Until then, it won't appear on the entry. Thanks for waiting.)

Remember me?